North Hall (Chapel Hall) was also built for the first year of the Academy in 1853, but of red brick rather than the cream brick used in Main Hall. A bell cupola sat on this building. Men’s dorm rooms, class rooms and a chapel (7th Day Baptists started the Academy) which took the whole 3rd floor and had a stage were in this building. Students started their school days with attendance taken in the Chapel.
South Hall (Kumlien Hall) was built of cream-colored bricks in 1868 when the population swelled to 302 with the addition of many Norwegian students. Men’s dorm rooms and classrooms were present in this building. The Academy closed in 1918, but South and North Halls were used for rental homes in the 1930s. In 1959 this building was cleaned up and FILLED with furniture, books and memoribilia from the Academy years. It burned in December, 1965, and was replaced with a 2-story brick building on the same site. The NEW museum opened in 1969.